Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 25, 2010

June 25, 2010

Yesterday was pretty much a day of rest. I slept late then enjoyed my favorite Haitian breakfast spaghetti with a boiled egg. Took a couple of naps and begin planning the literacy group with Rebecca. We are going to be working with 10 boys one day a week. If it goes well and my schedule permits we will add a group of girls as well.

Today I went to the hospital early and helped Fredo register patients and pull their charts. I will add a picture next week of their filing system. They get it, which is good. I never got it, which is ok as well!

A friend of mine, Fredo’s wife, Shelley came to the hospital with their brand new baby boy, Obadiah. He was born on May 18th, Flag Day for Haiti. I learned not to long ago that the first Haitian flag was made in Arachaie, the area where our mission is located by Catherine Flon. There is a memorial to the flag there. Anyway, Shelley went to the health center in Arachaie to have the baby and President Preval came by to visit him. He said Obadiah would grow up to be a strong man because he was born in Arachaie on Flag Day. Since then Obadiah has become quite the celebrity around here. I guess it is kind of like at home when a baby is born on New Years Day and the news does a special story.

I went with Shelley and Obadiah to visit Dr. Pady, our pediatrician. He was getting his 1 month vaccinations. However, she did not tell me that till I was holding him and Dr. Pady had the needle ready. For those of you who don’t know me well, needles greatly terrify me. I can’t watch, I can’t stand them…It is bad…I survived and so did baby Obadiah. I am not sure who was more afraid though.

Rachel and I spent the afternoon coloring posters for a local English class that one of the former children from the orphanage who is now grown teaches for free on Saturday. We also enjoyed fried chicken and rice. Rachel ate her chicken and then the piece that was still on my plate. It made Madam Jean Marie so happy to see her eating her food.

Convention started this evening but I was too tired to go for service. It started at 7 and was supposed to go until midnight, but Pastor got home at 1:00 am. I am glad I chose to stay behind and rest!

I did get to visit with an old friend, Erik. He grew up in the orphanage as well. I feel like I grew up myself with these kids. We caught up on each others lives and then on the other children that have grown and gone. We talked of Daphne who is now expecting her first. She is all alone though as she lost her entire family on January 12th. She now has a baby due in July. My heart breaks for her. We talked of our friends who have passed on due to this hard life in Haiti, Ismene, Monax, Djennie, and others. They will always hold a special place in my heart as they are the first who showed me Haiti.

Erik told me he knew where he could find the best barbeque chicken and plantains. So with 7 US dollars he left to take a motorcycle to find this delight as he kept saying. He returned about 20 minutes later with 2 overflowing take out boxes filled with chicken and plantains and 2 ice-cold coca-colas. It was some of the best food I have ever tasted in my entire life.

1 comment:

  1. Does anyone know where Emmanuel is these days? He's my oldest buddy, you know.